Ms. Svetlana Starykh
Svetlana Starykh is a Senior Consultant at NERA Economic Consulting.
She provides litigation support in the areas of securities and financial economics, specializing in cases involving accounting fraud and stock swaps.
She has analyzed issues including:
• materiality, causation, scienter, and damages in both securities fraud class action and opt-out claims
• market efficiency and class certification in securities class actions
• impact of alleged accounting fraud on stock, option, and convertible bond prices
• damaged trading volume in shareholder class actions
• effect of alleged insider trading on stock prices
• transaction data and intra-day trading data
• settlements in shareholder class actions
• liability and damages in derivative lawsuits
She has also implemented valuation of restricted stocks and illiquidity discounts, employee stock options and convertible securities, and financial assets and privately held companies, including review of mergers and acquisitions due diligence.
Ms. Starykh's litigation experience includes both civil and criminal securities cases. Her experience also includes analysis of telecommunications, antitrust, and bid rigging issues. She is the co-author of "A Proposed Methodology to Measure Damages for Option Traders Alleging Securities Fraud," published in the Litigation Economics Review.
Prior to joining NERA, Ms. Starykh was a Vice President of UkoInvest Joint Ventures, Inc. (Ukraine), where she gained extensive experience in the areas of structuring, valuation, and risk management of investment portfolios in the spectrum of emerging markets.
Ms. Starykh was previously on the faculty at Kiev State University and Ukrainian State Agricultural University, where she taught courses in calculus, differential equations, numerical methods, and optimization theory at the undergraduate and graduate levels. While there, she co-authored a college textbook, Calculus for Students Majoring in Economics.
In addition, Ms. Starykh has conducted research projects related to the development and implementation of environmentally safe technologies. The results of her work have been published in the Journal of Ukrainian Academy of Science and other scientific publications.