Avoid missteps in preparing and reviewing M&A valuation models
Properly identify risks in M&A valuation models and pro forma forecasts
Reduce the amount of time absorbed by the M&A valuation process
Friday, February 23, 2024
10:00 am - 4:30pm (CST)
Building a valuation model for M&A
- Understanding and comparing various valuation methodologies
- Understanding a discounted cash flow model
- Understanding valuation multiples
- Understanding the LBO valuation model used by PE firms
- Estimating growth rates and terminal value
- Methods for determining the discount rate
- Methods for selecting multiples
Governance of the valuation process
- Understanding risk premiums
- Stress-testing valuation models / identifying bias
- Applying appropriate valuations discounts
- Testing assumptions in diligence
- Understanding valuation ratios and drivers
- Using outside advisors for quality-of-earnings and fairness opinions
- Validating and stress testing the valuation
Applying the valuation model
- Linking valuation modeling and bids/LOIs
- Differences applying valuation principles to public companies versus private companies
- Adapting valuation for venture-backed and high growth companies, distressed companies, and minority interests
- Using valuation sensitivity analysis to maintain pricing discipline
- Linking valuation to deal structure
- Knowledge capture / process refinement
- Avoiding common mistakes and pitfalls
Upon completion you will receive 5.5 CLE credit hours (if applicable) and a Certificate of Competition.
You will also be invited to join a confidential discussion space for exchanging ideas, best practices, recommendations, and information with other M&A Master Class alumni.
Professor Donna Hitscherich is a Senior Lecturer of Finance, director of the Private Equity Program, and a Bernstein Faculty Leader at the Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. Center for Leadership and Ethics at Columbia Business School.
Prior to her position at Columbia, Professor Hitscherich had a career in investment banking, holding positions at CS First Boston, J.P. Morgan & Co. Inc., and Banc of America Securities. At J.P. Morgan, she helped found the takeover defense team and served as a senior member of the advisory review committee, which was responsible for all of the M&A fairness opinions issued by the company.
As a managing director in the mergers and acquisitions group of Banc of America Securities, she was secretary of the firm’s fairness-opinion review committee and a major contributor to the firm’s training programs for managing directors and associates.
Prior to her investment banking career, Professor Hitscherich was a corporate lawyer at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
She has been teaching for the Transaction Advisors Institute since 2021.