Develop a clear M&A thesis to maximize the economic benefit of a transaction
Properly identify the risks associated with a transaction and manage exposure to liabilities
Reduce the amount of time absorbed by the M&A process and improve certainty of execution
September 12 & 13, 2023
M&A Strategy & Process Management
- Strategy development with the business
- Developing a clear and testable growth thesis
- Identifying and cultivating appropriate acquisition targets
- Defining roles and key milestones in the M&A process
- Constructing indications of interest / letters of intent / setting the tone
- Managing decision bias; setting walk away frameworks
- Negotiation tactics and process / auction dynamics
M&A Valuation & Diligence
- Valuation models and stress testing the business case
- Tactics to increase accuracy and validity of synergy estimates
- Earn-out formulations and contingent consideration mechanisms
- Linking the deal thesis and value drivers to the diligence process
- Allocating diligence responsibility to advisors and internal teams
- Conducting commercial, financial, operational, and organizational diligence
- Diligence reports and risks of confirmation bias
M&A Governance and Closing
- Finalizing the deal theses with diligence results and integration frameworks
- Identifying common mistakes and pitfalls in synergy realization plans
- Determining deal performance metrics; plans for post-closing reviews
- Managing the final 'go forward' or 'abandon' decision process
- Accounting principles and net working capital adjustments
- Escrows and contingent consideration payments
- Post-closing purchase price adjustments
The M&A Academy is designed for corporate development professionals, strategy leaders, in-house M&A counsel, integration specialists, senior financial analysts, and business executives that are involved in devising and/or executing mergers and acquisitions.
You will also be invited to join a confidential discussion community for exchanging ideas, best practices, recommendations, and information with other M&A Academy alumni.
Stephen G. Morrissette, Ph.D. is a Professor of Strategic Management at the University of Chicago Booth School of Business where he teaches Merger & Acquisition Strategy.
His 30 years of transaction expertise includes various Chief Financial Officer roles where he was responsible for M&A and post-merger integration.
His academic career includes 15-years of full-time teaching senior executives in Strategic Planning, M&A, and Capital Planning.
Professor Morrissette has been teaching for the Transaction Advisors Institute since 2015. He was appointed to serve as the Institute's Faculty Director in 2020.
The autumn cohort of the M&A Academy will take place at Cornell Tech New York.
Tuesday, September 13, 2023 - 8:30am - 5:00pm EST
(Wine reception & dinner to follow)
Wednesday, September 14, 2023 - 8:30am - 12:00pm EST
"The M&A Academy really taught me how to best translate my company's broader objectives into a cohesive M&A strategy. I've already put material from this M&A course into practice at my company.”
Corporate Development Director
“This is an excellent M&A course - Professor Morrissette shares best practices and provides great ideas to help you improve your M&A process to add value at your organization. The class discussions and events after class provide great opportunities to learn from the experiences of other M&A practitioners.”
Senior Manager, Corporate Development
“The M&A Academy is a great way to get up to speed with how corporate development professionals outside your firm think and to learn about industry practices.
M&A Integration Manager
“Prof. Morrisette has deep knowledge and real-world experience of M&A and presents this complex topic in a logical and effective manner. I would highly recommend this M&A course to any individual or team looking to improve planning and execution of the corporate development process.
Chief Executive Officer
“Engaging context with practical, real life experiences to help the M&A 'boots on the ground' practitioner.”
Director, Corporate M&A
“An excellent time spent away from the office, to come together to learn, share, and expand knowledge surrounding the M&A process. The attendee's were diverse - multiple different backgrounds, industries, etc - that it enabled great discussion, learnings and new found LinkedIn connections. Overall, I would definitely recommend this M&A course!
Integration Management Office Manager